Saturday, July 29, 2006

Dancing Dolphin

Monday is the day I put the magazine quilt in the mail. I have called it ‘Too Many Log Cabins Are Not Enough’. It has 116 log cabin blocks in it, and I even made more, the 8 extra that I put to use in the little table topper for my Mum’s friend.

I won’t have to think about that quilt again for a while which is nice, and I suspect I’ve not been too interested in working on much quilty stuff over the past week or so because the magazine quilt has been occupying too much of my mind.

I have pulled a quilt out of my UFO pile which I really love, and I’ve decided that since I don’t have the deadline any longer I think I’ll quilt it! This is a quilt I made a few years ago, the pattern is by Java House Quilts, and I was just drawn to it. Amy of course adores it, and would love for it to be finished. I think the reason I’ve been hesitant to quilt it is because I’m not sure what quilting to do on the dolphin. The rest of the quilt will be a breeze, but the dolphin?? Anyone want to give me an idea or two? I was thinking about maybe some hand quilting, but I’m just not sure.

The dolphin quilt was kind of a stash quilt even back when I made it. I got much of the log cabin fabric from my stash, all of the fabric for the dolphin was stash fabric. I think I only got a few colours for the logs, and the blue paisley print from the store.

I have the backing fabric already, I think I have enough batt, I have already purchased the quilting thread … so bring it on! I think I'll give it a good press first tho ... :-)

12 comments:

just jenn said...

That is very cute! You did a great job. Is that dolphin appliqued onto the quilt?

Shelina said...

This is so pretty, and with such great colors. I like how the piecing and applique are combined. I have no idea how to quilt the dolphin - aren't they pretty smooth? If you are going to give it to Amy you could quilt her name or other words into it, or you could quilt it to look like log cabins. Or maybe the circles to mirror the circles in the border.

Joyce said...

What about quilting some sort of waves over the dolphin to represent the ocean? Maybe you would have to do the whole quilt like that though. Waves just on the dolphin might look a bit strange.

Hanne said...

What if you quilt the dolphin with wavy lines that emphasise the body shape ? It will be a very nice quilt though :-)
I am machine quilting an Ufo right now - it is 7 am - so consider yourself having Ufo company.
By the way - what happened to your blog layout? Have you made some changes lately ?
When I look at it in Internet Explorer the Blogger heading is taking a piece of your post text, like a square of your text covered, and when I look at it in Opera browser the Blogger heading is under the blog name - not like mine that has the Blogger heading on top ?

ForestJane said...

Nice dolphin in your log cabin!

I guess I'd just try to shadow that line that goes from the middle of his nose to his underbelly, long swooping shapes to make him look fluid and sleek. Then maybe shell shapes quilted in the border?

But I'm sure whatever you do would look great!

Linda C said...

I can see how your DD would adore this. Girlie colors and the dolphin. Whatever you decide on the dolphin quilting will be wonderful, I'm sure. No hints here as I just do basic stuff on these kids quilts.

Passionate Quilter said...

what a cute quilt, not sure what to tell you on the quilting though. That's always the tough one.

Fiona said...

Great colours - I can see why your daughter has claimed it for her own.

The Calico Cat said...

If you are thinking hand quilting the dolphin, how about lines that echo (inwardly) the dolphin. But by "echo" I do not mean make concentric dolphins... More like make a line of quilting on one side of the dolphin from the top to the bottom (Maybe actually do a few lines of quilting like this) and then repeat on the other side, but these lines would stop shorter - because they would meet the other lines...

I hope that makes a tiny bit of sense - I can so see it in my mind...

The Calico Cat said...

I forgot - it is a pretty quilt! Nice "watery" blue for behind the dolphin.

We saw a ton of dolphins during our reef cruise. The were almost playing with the glass bottom boat.

Bonnie said...

What an adorable dolphin. What a nice quilt. I'm sure that whatever quilting you do on this quilt will be wonderful.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love your dolphin quilt! I"ve seen that pattern before but yours is adorable! Yes I think it needs to be finished!

Hmmm what to quilt on the dolphin - that is a hard one. I think I would quilt long curved lines echo'ing his body shape? Might be an idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails