Tuesday, July 11, 2006

More Atlantic Jewels

Well, I did a little sewing yesterday. I only managed to get two blocks made, it's not the easiest block in the world to construct, but it's a lot of fun. I so wanted to make the blocks up with brights, but I just couldn't come up with a colour combination I was happy with, and I really have a huge gap in my stash where the brights are concerned. I know I always lean towards repros and more conservative fabrics when I shop, but I promise I'm making an effort to be brighter! The fabric that is in the middle and the corners of the block is one that Linda sent me at some time. It just spoke to me, it's really lovely. I think I have enough of it to make five blocks. I think I will make another four with different centres and corners, border it and call it finished. The alternating blocks will mean that the corner triangles will do pretty things where they meet.

And remember how yesterday I said I was just going to the quilt store for backing fabric and charge on out of there?? Well, of course I went to Quiltaholics which is my favourite quilt store, and I did head straight to the backing fabric ... well, don't tell me you don't know what's coming next ... yes, I was diverted by something shiny ... Less than 2 feet from the backing fabrics are the reproductions, and I have been tempted by this navy fabric for the longest time. I decided to get a metre. I can use it for the border on these blocks right?? With all the fabric I purchased in Paducah, I don't need it, but it's so nice, it had to come home with me. My stash reduction is kind of two steps forward and one step back. I'll get there eventually!

Also, yesterday in the mail I received the loveliest surprise. Donna, who is one of the girls I travelled to Paducah with mailed me a little parcel of fat quarters with the cutest card. You can see them on the right in the picture. She so loved the gift I made for her that she wanted to send me a little something. I gave Donna (and Karen) a 'Double Irish Chain' table topper. I'll share the pictures with you in a different post. How sweet of Donna to send me something lovely, thank you Donna!

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Hi Tazzie,
i'm new to this blogging site but i thought i would let you know that i love your blocks and the fabric Linda sent you is gourgeous. Look forward to seeing the blocks made into a quilt top. Hope you will post a photo.

quiltpixie said...

Isn't it hard to go for one thing and not come home with more from the quilt store. I almost feel like I should be able to phone ahead and "order" what I want for delivery so I'm not tempted :-)

Fiona said...

Oh, they are lovely blocks, they are so effective - they must be quite complicated to make.

Gail said...

Those are challenging blocks, but you are doing a fine job on them. With the fabrics you have chosen, it should be quilte a lovely quilt-please let us see it when it has 'grown up'.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails