Sunday, December 15, 2013

Kitcheny ...

Yesterday my lovely hubby did something for me that I have wanted for the longest time. He installed a new kichen sink for me. Ohhh happy days!

I had a long look thru my archives to find a picture of what it was like before - because in my excitement I forgot to take a quality 'before' picture for you all. Sadly this grainy phone camera picture was all I could come up with:


From this distance it doesn't look too terrible, but let me fill you in ... the corotone sink was almost twenty years old, and had all sorts of scratches and gouges in it - especially in the bowls. The scratched areas get terribly stained, and it didn't seem to matter what I did - I just couldn't get it clean enough to make me happy. And I can't even tell you how frustrating it was not to have a drainer on the left side of the sink. Last on my list of grievances was the tiny second sink bowl. It was way too small to be useful in any way.

Interestingly, it all bothered Marty way more than me, so a few weeks ago, he asked me to begin looking for the new sink. I knew what I wanted - our last home had a double bowl, double drainer stainless steel sink, and I made it my mission to find one. They're not as common as I thought, and really pricey - but I got one delivered last week, and yesterday was the day for installation.

It took Marty most of the day - and I'm so appreciative. I made myself scarce while he was cutting a bigger hole in the bench - so nervous - but he's a magician, and it all worked out really well. Voila, here it is, complete with new tapware.

I think it's kinda fun that something so simple as a new sink has me so blissed out ... I keep wandering into the kitchen to gaze at it :-)

And today has me working in the kitchen, this time playing with gingerbread. I'm putting an Ikea gingerbread creation together, right now I'm waiting for icing to dry.

I'll check back in with you all later so you can see what I've come up with ... this is a work in progress, and evolving all the time! Chatter soon xox

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a lovely new sink - I love the attached drainboards and have not seen any like that here! I need to start my baking.

Nancy said...

Wow, I love your new sink and would be delighted to have your lovely hubby come over and install one for me!

Yummy-looking gingerbread house, too. Enjoy!

Linda said...

Bee yoo ti ful! I totally understand how the "smaller" things make your life worthwhile! Love your gingerbread house as well!
Lurking Linda

Shay said...

I get all excited about things like sinks as well. I recall buying my new microwave and just wandering into the kitchen to stare at it every so often. Its amazing the things that float my boat. Marty did a brilliant job.

My track record with gingerbread houses is pretty awful...they always look like they were made by an alcoholic builder. Of course it had never occured to me to to the icing detail BEFORE I put the house together...

Unknown said...

I agree with Shay, why oh why haven't I ever thought to put the icing detail on the pieces if a gingerbread house before assembling, or trying to assemble it. Nice shiny new sink, mine was three years ago, I cannot get it to shine like it used to, but I do love my double sink as well, Best wishes, have a great Christmas, Best wishes, Wendy

Unknown said...

One wine too many for our Christmas get-together, sorry about the repeats on the previous comment.

Noela said...

I had one of those sinks and it was so hard to get clean. I have a stainless one now also but I wish I had got a double bowl not a smaller second bowl. Look forward to seeing your Gingerbread house finished.
Hugs......

Rachaeldaisy said...

OMG- I know exactly what you're talking about I have a hideous horrible corrotone sink , whoever invented them should be shot!! They're so hard to clean. I dream of a new sink... one day. I think we'd have to redo the benches to fit a new sink are we're not ready to take that on. Your new sink is an inspiration though. Your gingerbread looks so pretty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails