Monday, August 01, 2016

Caswell Border

Today I had some time to myself, so I set about putting together some flowers for the border of my Caswell quilt. My border will be more elaborate than the one in the pattern, and though I have some ideas, I feel like it's just going to evolve ...



I'll put a bunch of flowers together, throw them on the borders and see what looks good. My new favourite technique for applique was learned from Teresa's blog, and while I don't use it all the time, I love being able to put flowers etc together before actually placing them on the quilt. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. I should have time to put a few more bits and pieces together tonight, so it'll be fun to have a tidy pile of blooms put aside.

In the last few days I also finished work on the play mat - it's embellished and bound now, but I'll save that for my next post - so I'll chatter soon! xox

11 comments:

Karen said...

I just finished reading Theresa's tutorials. Interesting that she is using the freezer paper on top instead of under. I need to try that.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love Theresa's method too but do it a little different when I do mine something like that.

Missy Shay said...

I love your flowers, your border will turn out great!

Pam said...

Your Caswell quilt is lovely and I am interested to see how you work out the borders. We have similar taste in quilt patterns-i have made Caswell and also Mountmellick. Congrats on having your Mountmellick displayed in France.

I have tried Teresa's method but went back to the one i have used for several year. I follow the same steps as she does but iron the freezer paper on the wrong side. I cut out the shapes as she does but use starch and a clover mini iron to press the edges inwards against the freezer paper which acts as a template. I then pull out the freezer and viola-a perfect shape which i then glue onto the background. Similar method but different.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Well, whatever method you use, your work is always elegant! I love Teresa's work, but I am afraid you can't teach an old do new tricks and I am too lazy to wash out the glue. Keep up the good work. I'm happy that you had some time to yourself!

Raewyn said...

Your blooms look so pretty - the quilt will be amazing! I haven't tried the freezer paper on the front before - I do agree, it's nice to be able to pre-assemble to see how it's going to look.

Janet said...

I cannot believe how proficient/fast you got at this technique. I am very impressed. Just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to see the borders.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love your "carpet" of flowers--so lovely!

Kyle said...

Look at all those lovely pieces ready to go. You've got the hardest part done.

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

Such pretty blooms! Can't wait to see your finish!!

Teresa Rawson said...

Thanks for the shout-out, cutie! Your little bits and bobs have me so very curious as to what you will come up with...LOVE the initials, too! This is going to be such an amazing quilt...I am already in love with your blocks and spectacular setting!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails